Saturday, September 12, 2009

Online dating

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. Life has been fun and interesting. Where to start?

I'm trying online dating. It's rather interesting. The ones that amuse me are the guys who are 33 and are looking for a woman who is 18-34, or sometimes they are even more blatant and say 18-32. Oh, come on. Although, I must admit, I am a lot like them, though I don't come out and say it. I'd rather go older than I, than younger. I'm 27 and I wouldn't have an issue with someone who was, maybe 24 or 25, but I wouldn't feel comfortable dating someone who wasn't even legal to drink. I don't know why, but that's how it is. So when an 18 year-olds profile comes up, I click no. Another thing that makes me click no: lack of grammar or bad spelling. I can ignore some mistakes, because that can be normal. However, in this case: "I am the modern day cattle driver so it will take a its all or nothing will for me to find my cowgirl so don't be afraid just enjoy the ride i just want someone that will want to be cared about an when the storms of life come at u theres someone to say i got youre back ", I'm not even sure what he's saying. Then this e-mail: "how ya doin i guess rembering a bday wud b a good thing u can reach me". Yikes. He has no picture and doesn't even give eye color, height, hair color, etc. The only thing he does give out is his income. Odd. However, there are lots of nice, sane people out there. I've had a successful first date already.

I know lots of people who have tried online dating. Some of those people have long, long term relationships or have even got married. This brings up the question: what did people, like me, do before online dating? I don't have much of a social life outside of my few friends and my knitting group. I volunteer, though I don't think that taking dogs for walks will lead me to meeting any nice guys. I have in the past met guys through work, but almost all of them where I work are married and in a small business it's not really a good idea to date your co-workers.

1 comment:

Batty said...

My guess is that people who are 30+ and looking for an 18-year-old are looking for something different than you're looking for.
There are decent people to be found online. I wish you luck -- my sister met most of her boyfriends online, and some of them were very, very nice guys.