Friday, January 01, 2010

New Year’s Resolutions 2010

So we begin with a look back at 2009’s resolutions:

1.  Take lunch to work at least 3 times a week.  This will save money and force me to cook/prepare stuff at home and mean that I'll eat healthier there as well.  This worked for awhile, actually quite a ways into the year and then… I stopped spending much time cooking at home or even being home. 

2.  Karate at least once a week through May.  I quit in March due to expenses. 

3.  Organize my place and learn to keep it clean and organized.  This means I need to create some kind of a workable schedule.  Yeah, not so much.

4.  $50 a paycheck goes into savings.  Yeah, same with karate this had to be given up when expenses got too much.

5.  Things I would accomplish knitting wise this year: spring forward socks, rainbow faux-fair-isle socks, Grandma's Mother's Day/Birthday gift, coworker's hat, finish Mom's sock, cup cozy, throw for my couch, scarf to match hat and coat, Gap cable scarf.  I got the hat for my co-worker done and didn’t get much else knit.

6.  I would like to go on an overnight vacation this year, whether that is to Sock Summit, Las Vegas with my friend J, or even just an overnight in MT or WY somewhere.  I have wanted to vacation for years and haven't had a real one.  Even if it turns out all I can afford to do is go to Red Lodge or Bozeman and stay the night, I should.  It's recharging the batteries.  I had a very nice, relaxing camping trip this year and I’m counting this as a vacation.

7.  I need to have an intended goal for yarn that I buy.  I need to be able to look at 3 skeins of cashmere (just an example) and say that will be a scarf for Mom, not oh that bag of 10 Cascade 220 is a good price and maybe I could start a sweater someday.  I actually did this very well this year and didn’t overspend the yarn budget in the slightest.

8.  For every yarn that I buy, a yarn must leave the stash.  I can sell it, trade it, or use it, but I shouldn't double my stash this year.  There are exceptions: gift knitting (which goes back to number 7) since I don't always have in stash what I need, or money people give me towards yarn.  Again, this worked out very well. 

9.  Go through my storage.  If I haven't seen some of that stuff in 4 years or even longer... ask myself why am I keeping it and get rid of that.  I have side storage that runs the length of my apartment (about 60 feet if I remember correctly) and is probably 3 feet wide on both sides.  One side is full (sorta since the roof slants) and the other has quite a bit of stuff.  I got rid of quilting stuff… and that’s it.

10.  TRY with people.  Try to get along, try to apologize when I know I've been hurtful, and try to help more.  Try to respect myself when something isn't my fault by not apologizing or stepping in and taking on too much to make things better, putting myself down, or beating myself up long after something has gone awry and it is my fault, or by taking all of the blame when it wasn't just my fault.  I know what I need to do to make things a little better at work, so I just need to get off my duff and do it.   This will be expanded upon in 2010 because I really need to work on this.

 

2010

1.  A vacation for recharging the batteries would be nice and I think it should be a goal for every year.

2.   TRY with people.  Try to get along, try to apologize when I know I've been hurtful, and try to help more.  Try to respect myself when something isn't my fault by not apologizing or stepping in and taking on too much to make things better, putting myself down, or beating myself up long after something has gone awry and it is my fault, or by taking all of the blame when it wasn't just my fault.  I know what I need to do to make things a little better at work, so I just need to get off my duff and do it.  I want to become more bold and not be a doormat to anyone.  If I say no… then I need to mean NO and stick with it. 

3.  I really need to work on the savings account and the $50 a paycheck should definitely be more than doable with my new salary. 

4.  I had more and will fix this when I remember them. 

1 comment:

Batty said...

In this year of cutting back, you actually did quite well on your resolutions! Happy New Year!